Sunday, May 2, 2010

Iambic Pentameter

Iambic Pentameter is a way of writing poems and sentences in a particular meter with stressed and unstressed syllables. Writing a poem or a sentence this way creates a natural rhythm and makes the text more pleasurable to read and memorise. For example.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know (from Macbeth) - William Shakespeare

William used to write in Iambic Pentameter and so did quite some other poets (the reason which I believe, made them legends and their poetry, so rhythmic and classy). As per what I know now, it is very tough to write in Iambic Pentameter as they almost have fixed number of words and fixed number of stressed and unstressed syllables. Hence only a rare few poets or writers were able to write like that, and largely this method is untapped even by most prolific writers and poets.

I do not know how much time in weeks or months or years it is going to take me to learn this, but I have resolved to learn it. Why? I want my poems and sentences to sound better and have the satisfaction of learning something which only a few writers know and is difficult. Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment